running



i go for runs
in the early morning.
when nothing moves
save for the deer
and the rabbits
with their fluffy tails and
sideways eyes
darting out of the way just in time.
my legs churn.
they eat up the pavement.
and i remember to breathe.

i'm bad at it.
bad at slowing down.
bad at taking the time
to look back
and remember how far i've
come.

no.
forward we must go.
forward. pushing
on.
pushing myself
faster
and harder
until my legs
and my lungs burn
and i am spent.

some days i run myself into 
the ground
just to try
to find myself in there.
underneath.

mom,
but not just mom.
wife,
but not just wife.
employee,
but not just employee.
friend,
but not just friend.
daughter,
but not just daughter;
daughter of the king.

all of these pieces
trying to work back
to the reminder
that i am made
in the image of the father.
fearfully.
wonderfully.
made.
created.
designed.

even when i feel
anything but.
when the shards 
of my brokenness
cut sideways
and deep.

which {let's be honest}
happens most days.

on those most days
i try to 
earn my worth.

i work
and i strive
and i 
fight 
tooth and nail to prove
that i am enough.

why don't i
remember?

it is finished.

it is finished.
i can come to him
shards and all.
he already bled for me.

i don't have to 
be enough.

Comments

most popular