buy the d*** papaya

 


he's nine now.
he reminded me on his birthday -
he's halfway to eighteen.
this part of me.
my heart beating outside
of my body.

a few weeks ago
he asked for a papaya
at the store.
we had too much fruit
already
and i said no.

but last week i saw
the papayas again.
he was at school
and i didn't want one.

something stopped me 
in my tracks.
"buy the damn papaya,"
it said.

buy the papaya
for the boy who doesn't
ask for much.
the one who is
halfway to eighteen
and will soon be a man.
walking around the store
and buying his own
papayas.

he ate it on a 
saturday.
he insisted on sharing
with his sisters,
with his dad,
and with me.

"have some papaya,"
he said.
so excited about
fruit to share.

and i held my boy 
a little tighter.
and i let him go
a little older
than he was before.

xoxo

Comments

most popular