the big rocks




do you remember when your best friend became your best friend? 
which one of the million inconspicuous moments lifted them to bff territory?
or did you turn around one day
and realize that you're linked for the long haul?

trust builds slowly. 
vulnerabilities held with care. 
one drop at a time. 

this year has me thinking a lot about relationships. 
about friendships.
about priorities. 
about the big rocks. 

i let myself get a little lost this past year. 
i let the minutiae of the sand fill up my life.
my jar is full of sand with 
no space for the rocks - big or small. 

the people brushed aside for the things. 
souls brushed aside for that which will pass away.

i've forgotten.
i've forgotten what really matters.
i don't start on the right end of the list. 

people cannot be checked off.
they don't fit neatly into a spreadsheet or a line item.

so i met up with some of my people.
some of my big rocks.

and it's on the calendar every week. 
to do it again and again and again.
put the first things back at the top.
people over things.
eternal over immediate.

because if God's not in the work i do for him,
is it really for him?

if my relationships don't reflect a love of God
and a love of others
where am i pointing my mirror?

if my life is just about me,
what kind of life is that?

xoxo


Comments

most popular