logs



i didn't start with 
first things this
morning.
i let time slip away
instead.
i hate getting behind.
i hate losing my head.

but now i'm sitting
quietly with a hot
drink in my hand.

my heart weighs heavy.
my mind on edge.
your peace eludes my
grasp.

pause.
breathe deep.
{like a box.}
begin again.
start fresh.

reorganize.
rearrange.
listen to the still small voice.
listen.
to the voices floating
up the stairs.
listen to the wind whipping through
the trees and the eaves.
listen to the bass pounding through
the space from
the house next door.

listen.
pause and listen.
change the tune.
listen to a new song.
stop accepting things
i can change.

stop acting like a victim
even for a moment.
because i'm not.

my attitude?
my choices?
my effort?
all
mine.
they're on me.

don't call it out in others
and then leave the log alone.
there's a word for that:
hypocrisy.

you are responsible for
your behavior.
you are still responsible
for your actions even
when you're mad.
even when you're frustrated.
even when you're hurt.

but some days i don't 
want that to be true.
i want to sulk.
to wallow
and to point out
the specks in the eyes of others.

ignore my log.

those friggin' logs.
i wish they would go away
without being dealt with.

it's kind of amazing
i don't have a whole forest
growing out of my face
blocking my vision
entirely.

i wish that an
actual alarm would go off
inside my head.
until i take a chainsaw out
and cut it down to size -
this forest of my mind.

bring the loggers through
cut them down and move
them out and let
the sun reach the
forest floor again.

let the light in.
see the sky again.
let the spirit move
unheeded,
unhindered.

undo me.
undo my 
hypocrisy.

xoxo

Comments

most popular