grace like rain

well, it has been quite a while since i've found myself sitting down to update my little blogger. this past week took me to camp in the mountains with 33 middle school students, and without access to my computer. prior to that i simply didn't know what to say. there just wasn't much to say, i guess.

now it seems, there is much to say. this past week, up to and through the past couple days has taught me much about grace.



living with 11 other (mostly middle school aged) girls, and being somewhat responsible for 37 other lives has a way of teaching you about grace. in addition though i have been reading the above book -- traveling mercies by anne lamott. this book has spoken to me, met me where i am, and changed my perspective on more than a few things.

just a few moments ago i finished a chapter on grace. if i could do it without breaking all the copyright laws in existence i would type the whole thing up for you right here and now. but, since that's probably against more than one law i'll just give you a few bytes of it.

[GRACE IS] THE FORCE THAT INFUSES OUR LIVES AND KEEPS LETTING US OFF THE HOOK.
IT IS UNEARNED LOVE -- THE LOVE THAT GOES BEFORE, THAT GREETS US ON THE WAY.
IT'S THE HELP YOU RECEIVE WHEN YOU HAVE NO BRIGHT IDEAS LEFT, WHEN YOU ARE EMPTY AND DESPERATE AND HAVE DISCOVERED THAT YOUR BEST THINKING AND MOST CHARMING CHARM HAVE FAILED YOU.
GRACE IS THE LIGHT OR ELECTRICITY OR JUICE OR BREEZE THAT TAKES YOU FROM THAT ISOLATED PLACE AND PUTS YOU WITH OTHERS WHO ARE AS STARTLED AND EMBARRASSED AND EVENTUALLY GRATEFUL AS YOU ARE TO BE THERE.



...BUT AS USUAL, IF I'D GOTTEN WHAT I WANTED, I WOULD HAVE SHORTCHANGED MYSELF.

God has used this book to meet me. as much as i know in my head he will meet me where i am, i don't always remember, or trust it in my heart.

this book has refreshed me like a long cool drink of water. it has brought peace to my soul. or, more accurately, the God of the universe has used it to bring peace to my soul. to meet me in that place, and to shape me into something different.

one of the best reminders anne's writing has brought is that we weren't made to be cookie-cutter replicas of one another - even as christians. if God had wanted us to be exactly the same as everyone else, he would have created us that way.

but he didn't. he created us to be unique individuals, who reflect his image.



today i will rest
in the grace like rain
which falls down on me.

Comments

most popular